Case Studies

Binay Murjia's Story

Binay Murjia, a 30 year old man came to us with severe abdominal pain due to a hole in his stomach leaking all the gastric juices into his abdomen for the last 5 days. He was on the verge of collapse. He underwent a laparotomy and since his bowels were stuck together, he ended up with abdominal drains to at least remove the pus in his abdomen.His relatives were furious after the surgery as they felt his condition was worse since faeces was coming from the drains. Daily dressings were done and he went home after nearly 2 months in hospital. Most of his bill had to be waived as he was the major wage earner in the family. In 3 months his wound had healed and in 6 months he was back to a normal life and working in his fields.

There are many such Binay Murjia in the villages. They try homemade remedies and the local village witch doctors therapies. They endure fevers, discomfort and pain as their fathers did before them. They wait until they are seriously incapacitated before coming to the hospital. Even then, it takes a lot of love and patience from our staff to convince them that they did the right thing and that healing sometimes takes time.But the results are worth it especially as more people from that village begin to seek help.

Lakmi Kirsani's Story

Lakmi Kirsani, a 31 year old housewife belonging to the Gadaba tribe was brought to a casualty after having swallowed insecticide in a suicide bid following a quarrel with her drunk husband. The distraught husband with 3 small children and half the village in tow pleaded with us to do everything we could to save her life. Lakmi was drowsy, disoriented with pin-point pupils. Her stomach was washed out and treatment with antidote was begun immediately but within 24 hours she stopped breathing. She was incubated immediately. In the absence of a ventilator, she had to be bagged (ventilated) by hand.

Rosters were drawn up for hand bagging, with staff from all units taking turns around the clock along with nurses and relatives in the fight to keep her alive. Four times the doctors attempted extubation (removing the breathing tube) but she was unable to breathe by herself. Despite the doctors gradually losing hope her husband remained fiercely convinced that we would be able to pull her through and so the treatment was continued. Lakmi was obviously fighting to stay alive and the nurses walked beside her each step of the way, willingly working overtime, thinking and praying for her even when off duty. On the ninth day to everyone’s delight she began to breathe by herself. She went home within a week after that and three months later Lakmi was back to working in the fields and looking after her family.